National Convention Penguin Drive
Phi Sigma Rho will hold its first Penguin Drive during the 2009 National Convention as a community outreach project. Convention attendees will bring new penguins and other new penguin toys to be donated to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh (CHP). For safety reasons, please note the things to avoid (listed below) to ensure your donation can be used.
According to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, "Play experiences can help children to cope and adjust to illness and hospitalization. Play is one way the Child Life and Volunteer Services Department at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh meets the developmental, psychosocial, emotional and educational needs of our patients. You can help by donating new toys, games and other play-time supplies."
Gifts should be new and should not be wrapped.
A few suggestions based on the CHP Child Wish List:
* Baby rattles
* Mobiles (non-cloth)
* Infant clothes (no pink or blue, please send yellow and green)
* Soft plush toys
* Coloring books/crayons/markers
* New stuffed animals
* Pajama pants
* Playing cards
* Anything else you think would be fun!
Due to the risk of infection for children in the hospital setting and also for safety reasons, please avoid the following:
* Used toys and used stuffed animals
* Toys stuffed with shredded foam, small pellets or beans. Look for items filled with fabric or solid foam
* Toys with detachable parts (like button eyes) that could be removed and swallowed or inhaled
* Electrical, spark-producing or friction-producing toys
* Fragile toys that can break into small pieces with sharp edges
* Toys made of glass or brittle plastic
* Toys with sharp edges or protrusions
* Toys or craft kits with toxic paints or glues
* Toys with parts that can pinch fingers or pull hair
* Humorous medical toys and games. These may cause fear and misconceptions
* Toy guns and other violent toys
Community Service Event Letter Writing to Girls, Inc.
Its time to go back to your girly roots while cheering girls on! Celebrate girlhood!
We all know that being a girl interested in math, science and engineering can be tough but highly rewarding. Join the Phi Sigma Rho letter-writing campaign benefitting girls in the Girls Inc. program. Have fun and give back by sharing your stories with young girls who could use an encouraging boost. By partnering with Girls Inc., we hope to inspire girls to be STRONG, SMART and BOLD and show the next generation how we’ve succeeded. Letters can include stories like how much you liked dissecting frogs in science class even though all the other girls thought it was gross or how you were better than all the boys in your math class.
Feel great reminiscing about growing up while helping a young girl pursue her dreams. Letters can be personalized with stickers or fun gel pens and pictures. Go all out and have fun!
Each letter will be addressed to a unique girl in need of a pep talk. All sisters attending National Convention are encouraged to pick a girl or two and write a fun, short letter. Letters should not include personal information such as last names, addresses or information inappropriate for a young girl. A pen pal relationship is not required and cannot be pursued unless you are contacted by the Girls Inc. facility.
If you’re interested in joining the campaign but will not be attending National Convention, contact Heidi Nielsen.